Research Skills seminar 03/02/2011
-Finding books in the Library (LRC)
- Arrive on the PCA main page and click ‘eLibrary’
- Use quick search and select ‘Author’, ‘Title’, ‘Subject’ or ‘Keyword’ (eg: to search for David Hockney put ‘Hockey’ in the search box with ‘Author’ selected)
- then press ‘Search’
- You will then have a list of results, showing the location of the books and their classmark.
- Locate the classmark in the library to locate the book.
- Be aware of the ‘Status’. If it reads ‘check shelves’ the book should be there. If there is a due date (eg: ‘DUE 10-01-11) then it won’t be there until that date and if necessary make use of the ‘Request’ function.
Finding journals online using JSTOR:
- Arrive on the PCA main page
- click ‘eLibrary’
- On the right hand side, click on the link to JSTOR
- Go to ‘Advanced Search’
- Input your search terms
- To narrow your search, tick the relevant boxes underneath (eg: ‘Art and Art
- To view the journal, click the PDF link on the results page
- The journal will then open in Adobe Reader
- Once the journal is open in Adobe Reader, you can right click on your mouse and save
it to your computer for future reference!